A few days later mom adjusted it to make whole wheat hops.
It came out very well however it wasn’t as fluffy and soft as it could’ve been or say the white bread.
So, when Chennette said she was going to make whole wheat hops bread mom was able to tell her precisely what to change in the white hops recipe to make it just as good.
Whole Wheat Hops Bread
- 1 1/3 package dry yeast (1 package in white recipe)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 4-5 tsp baking powder (3 tsp in white recipe)
- 5 cups white flour (8 cups in white recipe)
- 3 cups whole wheat flour (obviously not in white recipe)
- 2.5 cups warm water
- 1 tsp salt
Same method as previous
- Dissolve sugar in warm water.
- Dissolve yeast in sugar and water; mom let it stay a minute or so after dissolving.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt to the liquid.
- Stir and knead until it was smooth and elastic (5 minutes or so).
- Pour some water over the dough and cover it and let it rise until it doubles in size (20 minutes).
- Punch down dough and knead again and cover and let it rise until it doubles in size again.
- Grease tray with shortening.
- Punch down dough and pinch and shape into balls (mom made 15) and place on the tray.
- Let it rise until it fills the tray (or gets to a suitable size).
- Preheat oven (say 375F – 400F)
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until nice and medium brown.